The Visual Communication Division invites submissions for the 103rd Annual National Communication Association Convention in Dallas, TX, Nov. 16-19, 2017.
The theme for the NCA 103rd Annual Convention is Our Legacy, Our Relevance. This theme is intended to help us no only reflect on where we are, where we have been, and where we want to go next but to also imagine the impact we, as communication scholars, want to have on lived communities. Submissions that develop this theme are encouraged, particularly those which explore the ways research in visual communication encourages dialogue about what intellectual, institutional and cultural legacies we honor through our work. I hope you keep this year’s convention theme in mind as you prepare your submission, but any research that addresses the theory and practice of visual communication will be welcomed. The aim of our division is to to explore the theories and practices of visual communication, including the use, manipulation, and display of still and moving images, graphic design, symbols, artifacts, visual perception, visual spaces and material culture.
Individuals may present only one paper in the Visual Communication Division, whether submitted as a paper or as a part of a paper session. Individuals may serve within the division as chairs, respondents, and/or participants on non-traditional panels in addition to presenting a single paper. Single institution panels will not be accepted. This means that institutional diversity among participants is a priority for acceptance.
1. All submissions must be submitted electronically via NCA Convention Central.
2. All submissions submitted to the division will be reviewed in an open competition.
3. Each submission should be made to one unit only.
4. Please identify student submissions of papers by selecting the correct box on the electronic submission form. Student papers will be considered for the Cushman Award for top student paper.
SUBMITTING A COMPETITIVE Individual PAPER:
Submitted papers should include:
1. A title;
2. A description of no more than 350 words;
3. An uploaded main text of no more than 25 pages (double-spaced) in length using 12 point type, excluding tables and references;
SUBMITTING A PAPER SESSION:
A paper session consists of a group of presenters who present papers on a specific topic. Submitted paper sessions should include:
1. A title for the session;
2. A session description of no more than 75 words;
3. A rationale for the session of no more than 350 words;
4. Titles, author(s) information, and abstracts for each presentation/paper (350 words maximum for each paper);
5. Chair and respondent;
SUBMITTING A PANEL DISCUSSION:
A panel discussion may include roundtable panels as well as other alternate presentation formats and should include:
1. A title for the panel;
2. A list of presenters and their affiliations;
3. A rationale for the panel discussion of no more than 500 words;
4. A panel description of no more than 75 words;
The conference will convene Thurs., Nov. 16 through Sun., Nov. 19, 2017 in Dallas, TX. Submitting a paper or panel is a commitment to attend the convention if the work is accepted for presentation.
All submitters are encouraged to review the Professional Standards for Convention Participants prior to submission. Helpful resources such as the standards and live and recorded step-by-step instructions on how to submit are available in the Convention Resource Library (www.natcom.org/